Here I am again obsessing about the Enneagram personality typing system! Below is a ‘checklist’ of sorts to determine whether or not you could possibly be a Type One – Perfectionist (also referred to as Reformer, Judge, Crusader). I am again quoting from The Enneagram Made Easy by Renee Baron and Elizabeth Wagele (this is a great introductory book to the Enneagram, and I highly recommend it!).
In general, Ones are described as “ethical, reliable, productive, wise, idealistic, fair, honest, orderly, self-disciplined” at their best. At their worst, they can be “judgmental, inflexible, dogmatic, obsessive-compulsive, critical of others, overly serious, controlling, anxious, jealous.” The most common Myers-Briggs types for a One are ESTJ, ISTJ, ISFJ, & INTJ. Other fairly likely possibilities are ESFJ, ENTJ, ENFJ, and INFJ. Rare but possible are ISTP, INTP and INFP.
Consider these statements in regard to your own personality, especially as you would have related to them before age 25 or so. Or if you’re not a One, you may very well recognize someone you know in here!
1. I like to be organized and orderly.
2. It is difficult for me to be spontaneous.
3. I often feel guilty about not getting enough accomplished.
4. I don’t like it when people break the rules.
5. Incorrect grammar and spelling bother me a lot.
6. I am idealistic. I want to make the world a better place.
7. I am almost always on time.
8. I hold on to resentment for a long time.
9. I think of myself as being practical, reasonable, and realistic.
10. When jealous, I become fearful and competitive.
11. Either I don’t have enough time to relax or I think I shouldn’t relax.
12. I tend to see things in terms of right or wrong, good or bad.
13. I analyze major purchases very thoroughly before I make them.
14. I dread being criticized or judged by others.
15. I often compare myself with others.
16. Truth and justice are very important to me.
17. I often feel that time is running out and there is too much left to do.
18. I almost always do what I say I will do.
19. I worry almost constantly.
20. I love making every detail perfect.
So…could you be a One?