The other day I posted on Type 1 in the Enneagram personality typing system, and you can read that HERE. Today is all about Type 2!
In general, Twos are described as “loving, caring, adaptable, insightful, generous, enthusiastic, tuned in to how people feel” at their best. At their worst, they can be “martyrlike, indirect, manipulative, possessive, hysterical, overly accommodating, overly demonstrative (the more extroverted Twos.”
The most common Myers-Briggs types for a One are ESFJ, ISFJ, ESFP, ENFJ, & ENFP. Another fairly likely possibility is INFP. Rare but possible are ISFP and INFJ.
Below is a ‘checklist’ of sorts to determine whether or not you could possibly be a Type Two – Helper (also referred to as Giver, Nurturer, Adviser). I am again quoting from The Enneagram Made Easy by Renee Baron and Elizabeth Wagele (great introductory book to the Enneagram!).
Do these describe you or someone you know? Think of them especially as they relate to you before around age 25.
1. I want people to feel comfortable coming to me for guidance and advice.
2. Relationships are more important to me than almost anything.
3. Sometimes I feel overburdened by people’s dependence on me.
4. I have trouble asking for what I need.
5. I crave, yet sometimes fear, intimacy.
6. I am more comfortable giving than receiving.
7. I am very sensitive to criticism.
8. I work hard to overcome all obstacles in a relationship.
9. I try to be as sensitive and tactful as possible.
10. When I am alone I know what I want, but when I am with others I am not sure.
11. It is very important that others feel comfortable and welcome in my home.
12. I don’t want my dependence to show.
13. Watching violence on television and seeing people suffer is unbearable.
14. Sometimes I feel a deep sense of loneliness.
15. If I don’t get the closeness I need, I feel sad, hurt, and unimportant.
16. Sometimes I get physically ill and emotionally drained from taking care of everyone else
17. I often figure out what others would like in a person, then act that way.
18. I enjoy giving compliments and telling people that they are special to me.
19. I am attracted to being with important or powerful people.
20. People have said I exaggerate too much and am overly emotional.
There ya go! Could you possibly be a Type 2?