Below is a ‘checklist’ of sorts to determine whether or not you could possibly be a Type Six in the Enneagram of 9 Personality Types. Six is the Questioner (also referred to in other sources as the Loyalist, Skeptic, Guardian, Rebel). I am again quoting from The Enneagram Made Easy by Renee Baron and Elizabeth Wagele.
In general, Sixes are “motivated by the need for security. Phobic Sixes are outwardly fearful and seek approval. Counterphobic Sixes confront their fear. Both of these aspects can appear in the same person.” They are described as “loyal, likable, caring, warm, compassionate, witty, practical, helpful, responsible” at their best. They can also be “hyper-vigilant, controlling, unpredictable, judgmental, paranoid, defensive, rigid, self-defeating, testy” at their worst.
Those who are Type 6 could easily be any Myers-Briggs type since they are so varied. The most common types, though, for Type 6 are ESFJ, ISFJ and ENTJ. Other strong possibilities are ISFP, ENTP, INTJ, INTP, ENFJ, and INFJ. Slightly less common are ESTJ, ISTJ, ESTP, ESFP, ISTP, ENFP and INFP.
Consider these statements in regard to your own personality, especially as you would have related to them before age 25 or so. Or if you’re not a Six, you may recognize someone you know in here!
1. I am nervous around certain authority figures.
2. I am often plagued by doubt.
3. I like to have clear-cut guidelines and know where I stand.
4. I am always on the alert for danger.
5. I take things too seriously.
6. I constantly question myself about what might go wrong.
7. I often experience criticism as an attack.
8. I often obsess about what my partner is thinking.
9. I can be a very hard worker.
10. My friends think of me as loyal, supportive, and compassionate.
11. I’ve been told I have a good sense of humor.
12. I follow the rules closely (a phobic trait); or I often break rules (a counterphobic trait).
13. The more vulnerable I am in my intimate relationship, the more anxious and testy I become.
14. I tend to either procrastinate or plunge headlong, even into dangerous situations.
15. I am very aware of people trying to manipulate me with flattery.
16. I like predictability.
17. I have sabotaged my own success.
18. I can support people through thick and thin.
19. Being neat and orderly helps me to feel more in control of my life.
20. I dislike pretension in people.
Are you a Six? Do you know a Six? Let me know!