Below is a ‘checklist’ of sorts to determine whether or not you could possibly be a Type Eight in the Enneagram of 9 Personality Types. Eight is the Asserter (also referred to in other sources as the Leader, Solution Master, Maverick, Protector, Intimidator). I am again quoting from The Enneagram Made Easy by Renee Baron and Elizabeth Wagele. In general, Eights are “motivated by the need to be self-reliant and strong and to avoid feeling weak or dependent.” They are described as “direct, authoritative, loyal, energetic, earthy, protective, self-confident” at their best. They can also be “controlling, rebellious, insensitive, domineering, self-centered, skeptical, aggressive” at their worst.
The most common types Myers-Briggs types for Type 8 are ESTJ, ENTJ, and INTJ. Other possibilities are ESTP and ENTP. Slightly less common are ISTJ, ISTP, INTP, ENFJ, ENFP, INFJ, and INFP.
Consider these statements in regard to your own personality, especially as you would have related to them before age 25 or so. Or if you’re not a Eight, you may recognize someone you know in here!
1. I can be aggressive and assertive when I need to be.
2. I can’t stand being used or manipulated.
3. I value being direct and honest; I put my cards on the table.
4. I am an individualist and a nonconformist.
5. I respect people who stand up for themselves.
6. I will go to any lengths to protect those I love.
7. I fight for what is right.
8. I support the underdog.
9. Making decisions is not difficult for me.
10. Self-reliance and independence are important.
11. I have overindulged in food or drugs.
12. Some people take offense at my bluntness.
13. When I enter a new group, I know immediately who the most powerful person is.
14. I work hard and I know how to get things done.
15. In a group I am sometimes an observer rather than a participant.
16. I like excitement and stimulation.
17. Sometimes I like to spar with people, especially when I feel safe.
18. I am vulnerable and loving when I really trust someone.
19. Overly nice or flattering people bother me.
20. Pretense is particularly distasteful to me.
Are you an Eight? Do you know an Eight? Let me know!