Below is a ‘checklist’ of sorts to determine whether or not you could possibly be a Type Nine in the Enneagram of 9 Personality Types. Nine is the Peacemaker (also referred to in other sources as the Mediator, Naturalist, Accommodator or Abdicator). I am again quoting from The Enneagram Made Easy by Renee Baron and Elizabeth Wagele. In general, Nines are “motivated by the need to keep the peace, to merge with others, and to avoid conflict. Since they, especially, take on qualities of the other eight types, Nines have many variations in their personalities, from gentle and mild-mannered to independent and forceful.” They are described as “pleasant, peaceful, generous, patient, receptive, diplomatic, open-minded, empathic” at their best. They can also be “spaced-out, forgetful, stubborn, obsessive, apathetic, passive-aggressive, judgmental, unassertive” at their worst.
The most common types Myers-Briggs types for Type 9 are ISFP, and INFP. Other possibilities are ISFJ and ENFP. Slightly less common are ESFJ, ISTJ, ESFP, ISTP, INTJ, INTP, and INFJ.
Consider these statements in regard to your own personality, especially as you would have related to them before age 25 or so. Or if you’re not a Nine, you may recognize someone you know in here!
1. I often feel in union with nature and people.
2. Making choices can be very difficult. I can see the advantages and disadvantages of every option.
3. It is sometimes hard for me to know what I want when I’m with other people.
4. Others see me as peaceful, but inside I often feel anxious.
5. Instead of tackling what I really need to do, I sometimes do little, unimportant things.
6. When there is unpleasantness going on around me, I just try to think about something else for a while.
7. I usually prefer walking away from a disagreement to confronting someone.
8. If I don’t have some routine and structure to my day, I get almost nothing done.
9. I tend to put things off until the last minute, but I almost always get them done.
10. I like to be calm and unhurried, but sometimes I overextend myself.
11. When people try to tell me what to do or try to control me, I get stubborn.
12. I like to be sure to have time in my day for relaxing.
13. Sometimes I feel shy and unsure of myself.
14. I enjoy just hanging out with my partner or friends.
15. Supportive and harmonious relationships are very important to me.
16. I am very sensitive about being judged and take criticism personally.
17. I like to listen and give people support.
18. I focus more on the positive than on the negative.
19. I have trouble getting rid of things.
20. I operate under the principle of inertia: If I’m going, it’s easy to keep going, but I sometimes have a hard time getting started.
Are you a Nine? Do you know a Nine? Let me know!